Roasted Sweet Potato
Maple roasted sweet potato – sweet potato are already very sweet but adding maple syrup to them, some spice and roasting or rather caramelizing them in the oven just make them very filling and a perfect side to a very savoury meal.
Sweet potatoes are surprisingly nutritious. They are a very good source of vitamin A and are rich in other vitamins like B & C. I’m not sure how well these vitamins survive roasting but they also have a little iron, are rich in potasium and magnesium and they are a good source of fibre. This page tells you a little more about the benefits of sweet potatoes.
The thing I like about these fries is that a little goes a long way, they are so full on flavour that they really make you feel full. Well, that’s what I find. Try them for yourself.
This recipe is based on Simply Recipes oven baked sweet potato fries.
- pinch smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- generous pinch of dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 generous tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 generous tablespoon maple syrup
- fresh lime for sprinkling over (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 C.
- Melt the coconut oil (you can use the heating oven to do this).
- Place the sweet potato in a large bowl, pour over the oil and mix around. Sprinkle in the spice mix making sure all the potato is nicely coated, pour over the maple syrup and mix around well again.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, turning the chips over after 15 minutes.