Last year when I added the recipe Foolproof 4 Egg Food Mixer Mayonnaise I got into a bit of tizzy about what sort of suggestions I could offer for what to do with the leftover egg whites. Most of things that came into my head were desserts and I included a photo of a coco-mochaccino cake but because at the time I was trying to stick more with savoury dishes I never gave the recipe for that cake.
You can turn these mocha brownies into mochaccino cakes just by topping with meringue (egg whites blended till stiff white peaks with sugar and a pinch of salt). The ‘cino cakes look impressive but the base recipe is mocha brownies and to be honest they are perfectly lovely – and so so easy to make – all by themselves. I do love meringue topping though – it’s basically like vegetarian toasted marshmallows.
When I say the base recipe is mocha brownies I should also say that my mocha brownies recipe is basically Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with a little less chocolate and with strong coffee added in.
- 3 large eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 150 ml regular olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla paste
- 100 ml strong coffee
- 30g cocoa powder
- 200g ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170 C and grease a baking dish with some olive oil.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they look like buttery coloured cream.
- Keep whisking and pour in the olive oil. Then which in the vanilla paste.
- Blend the cocoa powder and coffee together and whisk it into the mixture. Taste it should have a nice chocolate taste but there should be strong taste of coffee underlining this.
- Pour the mixture into baking dish and bake for 45 - minutes to 1 hour. You'll know it's done when it passes the skewer test. Push a skewer into the cake if it comes out clean the cake is baked. Allow to cool.
- Enjoy with a cuppa!