Broccoli, Carrot & Apple Salad
Last year a study reported that eating broccoli helps to prevent or slow the progress of osteoarthritis in mice – they are now studying if it has the same effect on humans. Unfortunately I was unable to find out whether the mice were fed raw or cooked broccoli. I assume it was raw, although it may have been dessicated for ease of distribution, who knows… I was determined to find some way of eating raw broccoli since then. This was the first salad I came up with and it is still a firm favourite. Broccoli is said to be very healthy anyway so whether or not it will enable us to scurry around with more ease it’s good to have an easy sweet salad with lots of broccoli to munch on.
A lot of dressing is added to this salad. I have tried adding less
but it needs the full 9 dessertspoonfuls (I now think 6 will do) of honey mustard vinaigrette so the veg, nuts and seeds will soak it up and make it taste so good.
Another plus with this salad is it will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days. So it’s handy for packed lunches.
- 250g – 300g broccoli, sliced thinly
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 sweet crisp red apple, grated
- 6 dessertspoons honey mustard vinaigrette
- handful walnuts
- 2 tablespoons mixed seeds
- Add the broccoli, carrot and apple to a salad bowl, pour over the dressing and mix around well. Add the walnuts and seeds and stir around once more.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour prior to serving.