This is my first time making any sort of preserve. It’s much easier than I imagined.
I know I said I might never cook beetroot again – now that I’ve found how good it is raw – but I made this at the end of last year. And I’ll definitely be making it again.
At the end of last year I started getting fruit and veg deliveries. It’s great. You don’t choose what you get you just get a box of fresh organic fruit and veg each week – kind of like a lucky bag. Beetroot seems to feature a lot so I decided to try something a bit different with it.
I’m not sure if there are any health benefits to relishes. I think they’re supposed to aid digestion. In any case this is a nice addition to a cheese sandwich and will liven up a veggie burger or a slice of nut-loaf. This relish contains beetroot, apples, onions, cider vinegar and ginger. The minerals of these ingredients should survive the pickling process.
So this turns out to be very easy and the only messy thing is the beetroot. Is beetroot ever not messy? I don’t think so. I’d advise wearing gloves when you peel and grate it because otherwise the stain it leaves on your hands takes ages to wash out fully. But it tastes good and it’s great for your health so I suppose we’ll forgive it.
Once the relish is cooked you place it into sterilized air-tight pots and leave it to … I don’t know what the word is – do what it needs to – for at least 5 weeks. And if you’re wondering how to sterilize your jars here’s how.
- 450g fresh beetroot, peeled and grated
- 450g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 450g onions, peeled and grated
- 125g dark brown sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 450ml cider vinegar
- 25g fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fistful raisins, sultanas, cranberry mix
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on a gentle heat for 2 hours.
- Spoon the mixture into warm sterilized jars (you'll need 4 - 6 jars).
- Leave for at least 5 weeks at the back of the cupboard before opening.
- Once opened leave in the fridge. Should keep indefinitely or as good as.