Are you a morning person? Do you hop out of bed full of joy and energy ready to greet whatever the world has to offer you? I’m not and I don’t. I often walk into the door frame of the kitchen door as I wander bleary-eyed over to the coffee machine. Not a morning person. At all. This is a great breakfast for us not-morning-people. Not only is it very tasty but the little kick of chilli in it gives you that bit of pep you need to start the day.
Naturally it’s healthy too. Eggs are good for you as are tomatoes, garlic, onion and chilli. But the real reason to make it for breakfast is that it’s simple and delicious. I loved this. Even more than I love the Egg and Avocado Bake, which I also love. It’s not just the taste it’s the peppiness too.
Anyway, try it and I hope you like it as much as I do.
- 1 fresh cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 onion
- 1 large tomato
- pinch oregano
- red wine vinegar
- pinch brown sugar
- good pinch salt
- 1 medium or large egg
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oven to 200 C.
- Peel the onion and garlic clove, chop roughly and put in blender. Top, tail and deseed cayenne pepper, chop roughly and add to blend. Whizz mix till everything is chopped small - should take less than a minute.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the chilli, garlic and onion on a high heat. Keep stirring so that they don't burn.
- Chop the tomato into small pieces and add to the pan. Add a small splash of red wine vinegar. Sprinkle over the oregano, salt and sugar and keep stirring until the tomato has softened. Taste and add more salt or sugar if necessary.
- Grease a ramekin, spoon in the hot tomato and crack and egg into it. Place in the middle of the heated oven and bake at 200 C for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle over a little parsley.